Borisoglebsky Monastery in Dmitrov. History, description, interesting facts
Borisoglebsky Monastery in Dmitrov, presumably, was built in the middle of the XV century, but the exact date of its construction is unknown. The abode has a rich history with which interesting legends are connected. We will talk about this cloister, its architecture and unusual facts in this article.
Boris and Gleb Monastery in Dmitrov was first mentioned in the testament of his younger brother Ivan the Terrible, Prince Yury Vasilyevich, dated 1472. The monastery until the XVII century was princely, that is, it was directly dependent on the Moscow and Dmitrov princes, who were its patrons.
The first archimandrite of the pastors of the church in 1519 was Theodosius, but it is possible that the previous priesthood had such a high priesthood, but there is no documentary evidence of this.
From 1652 to 1664 the monastery was assigned to the Novgorod bishop, about which a special decree was issued by Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich.
In 1682, the Borisoglebsky Monastery in Dmitrov was intended to be attributed to the Zaikonospassky monastery, but this did not happen, and the monastery became independent.
Monastery in the XVIII century
From 1724 to 1726 the monastery again submits to the Novgorod bishop and temporarily loses its independence. In the XVIII century, the monastery grew, it owns a fairly large stable yard, which is located in its southern part. The monastery owns a mill, various outbuildings and a settlement (a small village with non-serf inhabitants) for 14 yards.
In 1764, Catherine II issued a decree, according to which most of the monasteries in Russia are abolished. For example, the Nikitsky and Pyatnitsky monastery were closed, and the Borisoglebsky monastery remains the only one in Dmitrov.
By the end of the XVIII century, the monastery was going through rather difficult times. Buildings decayed and gradually began to decline. However, to the very end, the Borisoglebsky Monastery (Dmitrov) finds considerable resources for the reconstruction of the Intercession Church.
19th century monastery
At the beginning of the XIX century, a building was built for superiors. In 1888, due to an error in reading the date, written on one of the crosses of the monastery, celebrate the fifth anniversary of the monastery.This event draws increased attention to the monastery.
Its financing and further recovery begins. Under the leadership of the famous architect of the time I.P. Mashkov restored the main cathedral of St. Boris and Gleb in its original form. The rest of the buildings are partially reconstructed and restored. A new building of spiritual government is being built.
After the October Revolution of 1918, the monks from the Borisoglebsky monastery in Dmitrov were transferred to the Nikolo-Peshnoshsky cloister, and their place was occupied by nuns who were evacuated from Ukraine and Ryazan. Eight years later, the monastery is abolished, and in its premises is a local history museum.
From 1949 to 1970, a military unit was located on the territory of the monastery, and then various organizations and institutions. In 1993, the restoration of the monastery began, and after 10 years, monks and rector appeared here. In 2004, the monastery was restored and consecrated.
The oldest building of the monastery is Borisoglebsky Cathedral, built of stone. As scientists suggest, it was erected in the middle of the XVI century. It is a four-column cathedral with two thrones and threeapses (low projection building of various forms).
The temple was crowned with two domes, but only one has survived to this day. The second dome was located above the Voznesensky side-chapel and was much smaller in size. Presumably, the temple had a small belfry, as evidenced by the discovered elements of the site. In 1656, the Alekseevsky chapel was attached to the cathedral, and later the porch.
In 1672, Borisoglebsky Cathedral (Dmitrov) experienced a large-scale fire, in connection with which it was substantially rebuilt. In the same year, the Holy Gates were built, and 15 years later, St. Nicholas Church was erected above them. In 1689 a fence was built, in the corners of which towers were erected.
In 1702, the Church of the Intercession of the Protection of the Holy Virgin was built on donations, which was abolished before the 20th century. A bell tower is being erected, which has survived to the present day with minor changes. In 1834, a chapel was attached to the St. Nicholas Church in the name of Theodore Icon of Our Lady.
Borisoglebsky Monastery in Dmitrov: the schedule of services
After the restoration of the monastery premises, the masters set about restoring the frescoes. To date, all the artwork is finished, the walls and the dome of the temple from the inside are painted with paintings on biblical themes.
Among Orthodox Christians this abode is highly revered, and everyone is trying to get here. On the territory of the monastery various shrines are kept. This is the ark with the relics of Andrew the First-Called, as well as Matthew and Luke, who wrote the Gospel, George the Victorious, St. John Chrysostom and others. Particularly revered is the particle of the Holy Cross stored here.
Divine services in the monastery are held every day, morning and evening. On Sunday from 7:00 to 19:00, on weekdays from 6:00 to 19:00. However, on Great Orthodox Holidays, the schedule may change.
Borisoglebsky Monastery is undoubtedly one of the main attractions not only of Dmitrov, but also a monument to Russian church architecture. Arriving in Dmitrov, be sure to visit this abode and enjoy its beauty.