Excommunication from breastfeeding: methods, rules and recommendations
The best food for newborn babies, without any doubt, will be mother's milk. Breastfeeding is the most natural natural process that still takes place in our modern life. Mother's milk not only helps the child's body to develop immunity and protects the baby from diseases. A woman who is breastfeeding makes an elusive close contact with her baby. Many moms confirm the fact that only after they first fed their baby themselves, they realized the full value of motherhood.
However, time is steadily moving forward. The baby gradually grows, and sooner or later there comes a time when weaning from breastfeeding is needed. How to make this process as painless as possible for the mother and child?
How long can breastfeeding be? There is no exact information on how old a child should be fed by their mother’s milk. For example, the World Health Organization recommends weaning from breastfeeding at the moment when the baby is two years old. There is also the opinion of American pediatricians, who believe that it will be enough if the mother begins to maintain lactation until the end of the first year of life of the baby.
As far as breastfeeding is concerned, experts from the World Milk League cannot prompt exactly. However, their position is such that the baby should receive food from the mother how long, how much he wants, and how much it turns out the woman. The duration of HS can last up to 6-7 years. Everything will depend on the intuition of the mother and the state of the child.
Benefits of breastfeeding
What is mother's milk for a baby? It:
- unique in its nutritional composition, rich in trace elements and fats, enzymes, proteins and vitamins food, which, moreover, is completely free;
- excellent protection against allergies;
- a means to properly form the skull, and in the future - to develop speech;
- reliable shield against pathogenic viruses that cause infectious diseases;
- agent for normal and harmonious neuropsychic and physical development;
- close psycho-emotional contact with the mother, which will last for life.
No less important is breastfeeding for women. For her, it serves as follows:
- condition of successful recovery of the body after a period of pregnancy and postpone birth;
- a kind of time-out for the reproductive system;
- preventive measure to prevent breast cancer;
- a factor positively influencing mental and emotional health;
- preventive measures against cardiovascular disease, rheumatoid arthritis and depression;
- means of increasing stress resistance and strengthening immunity;
- opportunity to regain its former appeal.
The termination of lactation, which is a natural physiological process, should occur naturally, and not as a result of someone else's decision.When can it be understood that the period of GW has already reached its end? After the child turns three years old, he has completed the formation and maturation of the nervous system. In this regard, the need for mother's milk, which is a powerful stimulant for its development, in a baby disappears. And the sucking unconditioned reflex that takes place since birth fades away. When a baby is found in a social environment that is favorable to him, he begins to less and less need the presence of his mother. Scarce actively communicates with adults and peers who are in his environment.
At a time when the baby turns 2.5 years old, the woman is invoked lactation involution. This is the process of returning the mammary glands to their original state. Lactation decreases due to the rarer attachment of the baby to the breast, which is quite natural. In this case, the breast is not so actively filled with milk, even during long breaks for a day or more.
In this period, significant changes occur in the composition of the natural maternal product. It increases the content of biologically active components and immunoglobulins.
The completion of the involution comes to 40 days after the moment when the baby was last applied to the chest. After that, to restore the formation of milk is already very difficult.
It is worth noting that the completion of lactation naturally and weaning from breastfeeding are two completely different processes. In the first case, HB stops on the background of the involution of lactation and the extinction of the sucking reflex. Excommunication from breastfeeding is always a forced process. It is started at the time when the mother and the child have no physiological criteria for completion of hepatitis B.
Completion of lactation in a natural way
When does this period come? If feeding a baby with breast milk lasts for two and a half years, while he is perfectly healthy and falls asleep without a mother for the night, then lactation can be completed naturally. Accelerate this process is best not in the warm summer months. Only if the baby has already reached the age of three, the time of year does not matter. After all, he, being a rather long period as an infant, has already managed to receive a powerful “immunization” from his mother and is able to resistvarious pathogens.
Preparations for termination of hepatitis B should begin at approximately two years. Sometimes, mother can simply stop putting her baby to her chest, replacing such contact with reading fairy tales, as well as stroking the tummy or back. If this method did not work, what other methods of weaning from breastfeeding can be applied? First of all, a woman is recommended to leave the house more often, leaving the child in the care of close people. Such tactics will allow the baby to start falling asleep without a mother. In addition, the child will need to walk more, play outdoor games and acquaint him with his peers. This will limit access to the chest. In this case, the mother must explain to the baby that now he will receive food only at home. This will never be in transport or on the street. In the house you need to choose a strictly defined place for feeding. This may be a sofa or chair. The child must realize that the intentions of the mother are firm, and so she will do in the future.
At the second stage of gradual weaning from the baby’s breastfeeding, it is necessary to teach them to fall asleep in the evening hours with one of the family members.This will allow him, over time, to stop feeding his mother’s milk at night. It is very important that in her actions a woman is patient, persistent and consistent. It is unlikely that an infant will part with her nurse voluntarily.
The completion of HS may be in the form of self-radiation. This occurs at the initiative of the child who has reached 3-4 years of age. This process is facilitated by the lesser time spent near the mother and expanding the influence of the surrounding social environment. In the life of the baby there are new activities and people. And so he simply does not have time for frequent lashing to the chest. Gradually, he withdraws from this. At the age of 3-4 years, the child's digestive system is fully adapted to the processing of various foods. In this regard, the need for the entry into his body of enzymes contained in human milk, disappears naturally.
Termination of HBV in the first 6 months
Before half a year, it is especially important for the baby to eat mother's milk. If there are no special reasons for this, then it is strongly not recommended to interrupt this process. However, it sometimes happens that a woman needs to go to the hospital.Or maybe she has to leave urgently? The first case, of course, is not negotiable. But as for the trip, before weaning the baby from the breast, it is necessary to carefully weigh the pros and cons. It would be better if the woman nevertheless finds an opportunity to refuse the trip, to transfer it or, as the most extreme case, to take the baby with her. If the problem is still not solved, mom should tune in to maintain lactation.
In this case, breastfeeding can be resumed after returning home. What needs to be done for this? At that time, when a woman is far from her offspring, she should, without fail, express milk for 10-15 minutes every three hours, while making a night break. Such actions will help maintain lactation, and after returning to the baby continue to feed him.
Baby weaning from 6 months to one and a half years
During this period, the kids are very deeply experiencing any separation from the mother. The lack of a close person leads to a strong emotional experience crumbs. That is why the baby should continue to breastfeed and try for a long time not to leave the house.If necessary, the child should be prepared in advance for such a development.
To do this, it must be left as often as possible with the person who will look after him during the absence of his mother. In this case, a woman should not forget to express milk, so that, upon returning, to continue breastfeeding.
Problems of early termination of HBs
Mom should know that after weaning a baby from breastfeeding up to one year old, her offspring may have such problems:
- weaker than babies who feed on breast milk will develop immunity;
- will be a long process of falling asleep;
- night sleep will be intermittent and disturbing;
- there will be an early loss of a symbiotic relationship with the mother;
- the feeling of security that he will look for in a different manifestation (physical contact) will be dulled;
- bad habits such as nail biting, chewing gum, etc. may appear.
All this should take into account the mother and try to start the process of weaning from breastfeeding a year or more.
Weaning children over 1.5 years old
Kids at this age already eat a variety of food well. Due to this, their body gets everything necessary for development, which allows the baby to safely stop drinking mother's milk. Nevertheless, psycho-emotional stress is possible at this age.That is why the child must be prepared in advance for parting with his nurse.
If the mother is preparing to leave, then two weeks before him with the baby should start playing the game. Her story includes the departure of the mother, who returns very soon. It is recommended to give the child a new toy, explaining that it is a new and reliable friend. He will always be there in the absence of mother. Participation in the conduct of such preparatory fun should take a grandmother or nanny.
And yet, how much to breastfeed a baby? Moms should let their fumes solve this issue on their own. To do this, it is only necessary to carefully observe the child and understand that he is ready for this. Only in this case, the process will pass calmly and without stress for the crumbs and mothers.
Methods of weaning
How to stop breastfeeding? There are several ways of weaning for this:
Consider them in more detail.
What should a woman do if she chooses this way to stop HB? In this case, she needs to adhere to the following rules of weaning from breastfeeding, which involve six steps:
- Elimination of intermediate daily attachments.This applies to such sucking when the baby is upset and asks for comfort. Such feedings should be replaced with kisses, hugs and other kinds of sympathy. Eliminate the need and chaotic lash to the chest, which relieve the crumbs of boredom. In this case, the child should take something fun. If the mother understands that sucking is caused by a feeling of thirst or hunger, then she should offer her child a suitable alternative to her breast.
- Refusal to feed at the end of the daytime sleep. After waking up the baby should be distracted from the desire to suck her mother's breast. It is desirable that at this moment with the child was someone from the family members. Indeed, in the presence of the mother, the baby will find it difficult to understand why she refuses him.
- Stopping feeding before falling asleep. The implementation of the rituals will help. Any child gets used to a certain sequence of events. For example, after washing, he listens to a fairy tale, mother kisses him on the cheek, gives a breast, and he falls asleep. Gradually, one action must be removed from this algorithm. Of course, this is attachment to the chest.
- Refusal to feed after morning waking. Actions taken by a woman should be similar to those contained in the second paragraph.
- Refusing to feed before bedtime. And in this case, rituals will come to the aid of the mother, including water procedures, motion sickness, lullaby, etc. At the very beginning in this chain of actions there will be such a link as sucking. Gradually, the duration of the meeting should be reduced, and then the attachment to the chest should be completely eliminated.
- Refusal of night feedings. This step is the last one. Weaning from breastfeeding at night should be preceded by an early preparation of the child. He must learn to calm down and fall asleep with his mother's kisses, strokes, swings, etc.
The transition from one stage to another should take place only after the successful completion of the previous steps. This will allow the mother and child to calmly and without stress adapt to new conditions and ensure the success of the whole event. How long can mild weaning last? This process, depending on the child’s readiness for it, can take time from two weeks to several months.
The method of gentle weaning from breastfeeding is very often used by modern women. This process is attractive because the mother and the baby go slowly to the desired result. With the gradual abandonment of feeding, there is a decrease in the volume of milk produced, which helps prevent mastitis and lactostasis.
However, the method of gentle weaning from breastfeeding has some disadvantages. Sometimes mothers do not withstand the whims and cries of the child and postpone this process.
The situation described above, when the baby gradually stops drinking mother’s milk, is ideal. However, not everyone can do this. After all, life makes its own adjustments, and there is a need for a sharp weaning from breastfeeding, contrary to the desires of the child and woman. The continuation of lactation is sometimes hampered by a number of objective circumstances, the neglect of which leads to a significant risk to the health of the infant and the mother.
These are cases such as:
- the use of drugs that are incompatible with lactation;
- the passage of a woman long-term therapy with the appointment of toxic drugs;
- hospitalization of a child or mother for a long time.
If possible, during the period of treatment a woman should constantly maintain lactation. This will allow her to continue breastfeeding after recovery.
How to wean a baby in this case? For this you will need:
- reduce feeding time;
- if it is possible, then stop giving the breast to the baby at all.
In that case, if a sharp weaning is not possible, you must first stop the daily attachment.
How to wean a child from the breast? Very often mothers or grandmothers advise women to spread mustard on their breasts. However, it is strictly prohibited to do this. After all, mustard is a powerful allergen, the use of which is dangerous for children. When ingested, such a product causes a baby's upset digestive tract. It will also have a negative effect on the mental state of the crumbs, which, clinging to her mother's breast, got a bitter mixture.
Do not also smear your chest with green paint. This will lead to the occurrence of bitterness in the mouth of the baby, will cause him psychological trauma.
Smearing the breast with a spicy sauce will be an unsafe way.This product can cause irritation on the sensitive skin of the breast, and on the delicate mucous membrane of the infant’s mouth.
There are special drugs designed to stop lactation. After the first pill, the mother should not give her baby a breast. After all, milk will be poisoned by hormones. The drug method is abrupt weaning. It is not recommended for women who are sensitive to hormonal drugs.