Fertile days: why do you need to know about them for every woman?
The body of a woman is a complex mechanism that works like a clock.
Thanks to this, it is possible not only to make adjustments to contraceptive methods, but also to plan a pregnancy in advance, knowing when fertile days will come.
Why do we need information about the cyclical nature of the reproductive system?
Information about the phases of the cycle is used in two diametrically opposite situations.
FirstIs a calendar method for preventing pregnancy. The woman calculates the days when conception is impossible on the basis of data on the duration of the cycle. At the same time, the reliability of this method is relatively low - only 55-60% on the Perl index.
Such a low rate is due to two factors.First, stress and other situations that directly affect the duration of the cycle are not taken into account. Exam, long trip, taking antibiotics can have a significant impact on the hormones of a woman.
Secondly, according to gynecologists, every woman can have repeated ovulation once a year, which is almost impossible to calculate. This means that a few days after the “planned ovulation” will come again, which may coincide in time with the “safe” day.
Second situation- this is the definition of the most favorable time for conceiving a child.
How to determine fertile days?
Ovulation lasts 24 hours. At this time, the egg leaves the follicle and is in the fallopian tube. But conception is possible not only on this day. This is due to the fact that sperm cells can live for several days in the body of a woman, waiting for the right moment.
In order to determine the most favorable days for conception, you should use one of several methods.
The easiest way is the calendar method.But it is suitable only for those girls whose cycle lasts the same number of days - 27, 28 or 29. Ovulation in this case falls on the 14th day of the cycle. Three days before and two days after are also fertile days.
Girls with an unstable cycle can take advantage of special programs that, based on data from the last 6 months, will be able to give the results as close as possible to the truth.
The calendar method is the least accurate because it does not take into accountThe following factors that directly affect the cycle length and hormones:
- increased physical activity;
- reduction in daily intake of food during a diet;
- climate change;
- Reception of antibiotics and other medications;
- changes in sexual behavior: the beginning of sexual activity, change of sexual partner, a long break.
Cervical Fluid Changes
The next method is to determine the fertile days by observing changes in the cervical fluid. As the fertile days approach, the discharge becomes less transparent and more sticky.
On the day of ovulation, they become transparent and resemble egg white. The disadvantage of this method is its relatively low accuracy.It is also worth considering the fact that cervical fluid is directly dependent on the level of hormones in a woman’s body.
Measurement of basal temperature
One of the most accurate ways to determine days that are favorable for conception is the basal temperature method.
In the follicular phase, the temperature does not exceed 36.6 ˚C. On the day of ovulation, it rises above 37 ° C and lasts until the first day of critical days. For the results to be most accurate, it is recommended thata few tips.
- The temperature should be measured at 7 am daily for several cycles.
- Instead of an electronic thermometer, it is better to use a conventional thermometer, which should be kept for at least 5 minutes inside the body.
One of the simplest and most accurate methods that determines fertile days is an ovulation test. Its principle of operation is similar to a pregnancy test.It is a strip that must be dipped into the urine with the right end.
Based on the level of estrogen in the body of a woman, the test will show one strip (if there is no ovulation) or two strips (if there is ovulation). The disadvantage of this method is its high cost and the inability to predict the day of ovulation in the future.
Fertile days for certain categories of women
There are separate groups of women for whom there are certain difficulties in determining the days of fertility.These include:
- breastfeeding women.Despite the fact that from a scientific point of view, pregnancy is not possible until lactation is terminated, pregnancy cases during breastfeeding are often noted in medical practice. This is due to the fact that some women have increased fertility, which contributes to the rapid restoration of the reproductive functions of the body before the next pregnancy;
- women with a history of abortion or miscarriage.Both facts are provoking factors, since they directly affect the state of the internal genital organs;
- women who are at an age close to menopause.Long before the cessation of menstruation, a gradual restructuring of the body begins, which may make adjustments to the cyclical nature of menstruation.